The History of the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools
In 1957, the Texas Association of Episcopal Schools (TAES) was formed for the purpose of celebrating the shared identity of schools spread across a daunting geographic region. Episcopal school leaders recognized the need to come together to share resources and to enlighten the minds of teachers through cooperative seminars and informal networking. TAES also recognized the need to certify the academic quality and Episcopal identity through requiring the review and approval of specific documentation by a governing board.
In the early 1970's, Episcopal schools in Louisiana and Oklahoma expressed interest in the vision and mission of TAES and the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools (SAES) was born. Subsequently, schools from Arkansas, New Mexico and Arizona joined SAES expanding the mission to six states and eleven dioceses.
Promoting high standards has always been central to the mission of SAES. In 1987, the association began offering accreditation services to its member schools. SAES was a founding member of the Texas Private Schools Accreditation Commission (TEPSAC) which oversees the accrediting agencies in the state. SAES is also a member of the Oklahoma Private School Accreditation Commission (OPSAC). SAES is also approved by the states of New Mexico and Louisiana and is recognized by the state of Arkansas alongside their state process. This insures state recognition of SAES' work in the accreditation field.
Although lots has changed since 1957, the essence of SAES remains the same. through our accreditation, professional development, and consultation services, SAES continues to lead, nurture and unite our schools as we strive for excellence on behalf of the families we serve.