Thoughts on Social Media and Marketing
How are schools using social media in marketing?
A recent article in The Yield (a publication of The Enrollment Management Association) explored this question to study how schools were using--or were not using--social media to achieve their marketing goals. Brendan Schneider (Sewickley Academy) shared a few of their findings:
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform. 86% of schools identified it as the platform of choice for school marketing.
- Video is king. 85% indicated that they intend to increase their usage of video for marketing.
- School marketers want to learn more about Podcasting and live video. Blogging came in third to round out the growth areas.
- Regarding paid social media, Facebook again dominated with 79% of respondents indicating they regularly use Facebook ads as part of their marketing strategy.
- Finally, from the "no surprise there" file, the biggest frustration for marketers is not having enough time to manage everything. The second biggest frustration? Not having adequate evidence on return of investment.
What is your school's current strategy to utilize social media in your marketing efforts? Are you taking advantage of paid social media placement? Are you exploring Podcasting or an increased use of live video? Add a comment below!